About the Festival
The Hutt STEMM Festival is now in its third year.
The Festival aims to:
- Increase the profile of Lower Hutt as a world-class hub of science and technology
- Celebrate and showcase science, technology, engineering, mathematics and manufacturing
- Provide parent, teachers and students with tools to encourage students to study and up skill in STEMM
- Provide networking opportunities for business to share their latest research, projects and ideas
The Hutt STEMM Festival provides the opportunity to promote and celebrate the world-class work occurring in the city and inform people about how they can develop their own STEMM skills. From learning about exciting new technologies like 3D printing and artificial intelligence, practical skills like coding, sustainable living and far more, the Hutt STEMM Festival has something for everyone.
Why a Hutt STEMM Festival?
Hutt City Council is committed to developing pathways for opportunities in STEMM, to help grow a more sustainable and resilient city.
Why will STEMM opportunities help in this goal?
Because around 75% of fast-growing occupations require science, technology, engineering, mathematics and manufacturing skills. In particular digital technology is causing changes to work not seen since the industrial revolution. A recent study has shown 46% of New Zealand jobs are at risk of automation in the next two decades. STEMM sectors are typically high growth, high knowledge and high yield industries, and the region is already a nationwide leader in many of them, with multiple businesses having international reach of their products and knowledge.
Lower Hutt currently has:
- $387 million of GDP accounted for in high and medium technology business
- The 4th largest number of people in New Zealand employed in medium-high tech manufacturing
- One crown research institute, a government innovation precinct and four tertiary institutions
- More than 3,500 full-time employees in more than 900 businesses in the high and medium technology sector
- 115 hectares of land zoned industrial-commercial, the largest in the Wellington region
- A dedicated multi-agency initiative, Technology Valley Development Group, supporting the vision and growth of STEMM in Lower Hutt
- The creation of Hutt Science, an initiative focussed on engaging and enthusing young people about science and technology
- A new Sector Development Manager STEMM employed by Hutt City Council to enhance the profile of STEMM industry in Lower Hutt
Brought to you by: Associated with: Print sponsor: